The Travel Network Group (TTNG) has revealed 30 roles are expected to be made redundant as the consortium scales back its workforce to cope with the Covid-19 crisis.
The redundancy consultation is expected to affect roles at six of the group’s establishments, including 18 from its head office in Woking. The company employs 112 people.
The consultation process began in March when the Covid-19 crisis began to have an impact on the travel business.
However, when the government introduced the Job Retention Scheme, staff involved in the consultation process were offered the option of being placed on furlough, along with other staff.
Following the changes to the Job Retention Scheme in July, TTNG has decided it will not continue with the furlough scheme beyond September 30 for several employees.
The redundancy consultations started in March will be concluded and consultations will start for a further 15 roles which have been identified as “at risk”.
The redundancies are part of wider cost-saving measures which TTNG says are needed amid the pandemic.
Gary Lewis, TTNG chief executive, said: “It is with a heavy heart that, as a result of the ongoing global pandemic, we have had to identify 30 roles for redundancy across the whole of The Travel Network Group.
“Everyone in our team recognises that this is a difficult and uncertain time for our industry, especially the individuals whose roles are affected by this crisis.
“The recent announcements on blanket quarantine measures, FCO travel restrictions and cancellations of flights and tours have hugely impacted consumer confidence, which has amplified the challenges faced by the travel industry and had a knock-on effect on our revenues, and our members’ revenues.
“The streamlining of the business will not negatively impact the services we provide our members, but they are necessary to ensure The Travel Network Group remains strong, robust and able to support them now and in the future during these incredibly challenging times.”
Redundancy consultations began this week and most job cuts will happen by the end of September.
The company said it is offering its full support to all colleagues during this period.
Last month, the consortium said 26 members have had to close their doors as a result of the Covid-19 crisis.
It also acquired Global Travel Group, whose 200-plus members will remain a separate entity, alongside existing TTNG divisions the Travel Trust Association, Worldchoice and Independent Travel Experts.
Earlier this month, TTNG announced that operations and risk director Emily Sutton will leave in September to take up a role in the technology sector.
TTNG will not recruit a replacement director and her responsibilities will be absorbed within the existing team.
The consortium also saw the departure of communications director Alexis Coles-Barrasso in April, and in January, chief operating office Lisa Henning announced her departure.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.