More than 100 holidaymakers are reported to be threatening legal action after falling ill with diarrhoea and vomiting at a Red Sea resort.
UK tourists staying at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva Resort in Hurghada, Egypt in the summer were diagnosed with salmonella and E.coli during their stay.
A legal firm representing the victims now plans to bring a group action against Tui UK, trading as First Choice, claiming that their symptoms were a result of hygiene lapses at the hotel.
Holidaymakers at the five-star resort claimed they saw food being left uncovered and raw meat being placed next to cooked meat while others witnessed chefs neglecting to change their gloves or wash their hands after handling raw meat.
Nichola Blackburn, a personal injury solicitor for legal firm Irwin Mitchell, told European Cleaning Journal: “We have received – and worryingly, continue to receive – many similar reports that people have fallen ill while staying at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva Resort over the summer.
“Concerns include poor food hygiene and incidents of faeces in the swimming pool, which some of our clients witnessed and believe were not dealt with swiftly.
“Illnesses such as gastroenteritis, to include those caused by E.coli and salmonella, can have serious, long-term health implications for those who are struck down.”
A Tui UK spokesman said: “We’re sorry to hear these customers were unhappy with their holiday experience. We’d like to remind customers that we regularly audit the accommodations we feature in respect of health and safety, including hygiene.”
The law firm is also investigating an outbreak of gastric illness affecting holidaymakers at Club Hotel Riu Karamboa in Cape Verde in September and October, also booked through Tui UK.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.