Flights from Manchester airport are expected to be operating as normal despite explosions which killed 22 people and injured 59 at a pop concert in the city last night.
The suspected terrorist attack came shortly after US singer Ariana Grande had finished performing at the Manchester Arena at around 10.30pm.
Multiple witnesses reported hearing two large bangs at the 21,000-capacity venue.
A fleet of 60 ambulances attended the incident to ferry casualties to local hospitals.
Manchester’s second largest railway station, Victoria, will remain closed today and streets closed to traffic around the Arena as police continue investigations into the atrocity.
Manchester airport tweeted: “Flights are scheduled to operate as normal today, however some transport links to the airport maybe affected. Please check before you travel.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the terrible events at Manchester Arena.”
Flights are scheduled to operate as normal today however some transport links to the airport maybe affected. Please check before you travel.
— Manchester Airport (@manairport) May 23, 2017
EasyJet said: “EasyJet is aware of the incident that took place at Manchester Arena last night.
“We are planning to operate our flying programme from Manchester as scheduled.”
However, passengers were recommended to check the airline’s website for the latest flight updates before travelling to the airport.
A Manchester airport spokesman said: “Following the devastating incident which occurred at the Manchester Arena last night, our thoughts go out to the victims and their families.
“Whilst we have no information to suggest any further threat at this time, as always, we ask that passengers remain vigilant. If they see anything suspicious do not hesitate to report it airport staff or the police on site.
“Flights are currently operating as normal but public transport to the airport might be impacted following the incident.
“The safety and security of all our staff and passengers is always of paramount importance and we will work closely with GMP and other agencies to ensure this.”
Olivier Jager, chief executive of analysts ForwardKeys, said: “Manchester is primarily an outbound market, where travellers leave to visit somewhere else, rather than a top tourist destination. Therefore, we would anticipate that air travel will be somewhat less affected than if it were a world-renowned city to visit. That said, year-to-date long-haul arrivals are up 10% and forward bookings for long-haul travel to Manchester for the period June, July and August are currently running 12% ahead of where they were at the same time last year.”
He added that the UK on the whole had seen a “strong recovery” in terms of inbound tourism with long-haul arrivals up 11% so far this year.
“At this point, it is too early to say what the impact of the attack will be on travel to Manchester and to the UK but ForwardKeys will monitor bookings and report back when the picture to become clearer,” Jager said.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.