Norwegian has apologised to passengers flying to New York expecting to travel on its new Dreamliner aircraft.
The low-cost long-haul carrier, which boasts “comfortable flights at low prices” and a “state-of-the-art entertainment system”, has chartered a 19-year-old A330 Airbus from Wamos Air to operate its Gatwick-New York service until April 24.
A spokesman for the airline said its three-year-old 787 Dreamliner has been taken out of service due to damage to its fuselage.
Customers due to fly received text messages from the airline informing them of the change and told the inflight entertainment was “limited”.
The airline said it “appreciates this change may not meet our customers’ expectations” and has offered customers full refunds or the chance to rebook for another date.
Spanish airline Wamos, which mainly operates leisure charter flights, began running the Gatwick-JFK service on March 31.
A Norwegian spokesperson said: “We would like to apologise to affected customers who are expecting a Norwegian Dreamliner experience to New York.
“Due to an aircraft out of service for repair, we have hired the services of Wamos Air to operate our London-New York service until 24 April to avoid cancelling flights that would inconvenience our customers.
“While we appreciate this change may not meet our customers’ expectations, we will do everything possible to ensure our customers are satisfied. Norwegian will give passengers who no longer want to travel the chance to rebook or receive a full refund free of charge.”
Europe’s third largest budget carrier last month announced 12 additional routes from the UK and Ireland to the US east coast, using new Boeing 737MAX aircraft.
From September 16, it will also fly to Denver and Seattle for fares as low as £199
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.