MSC Cruises is working with authorities to ensure all MSC Splendida’s passengers can fly home after the ship’s current voyage was cut short amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Last week, the line suspended all sailings until April 30 due to the coronavirus pandemic midway through MSC Splendida’s Grand Voyage which departed Singapore on February 14.
The decision prompted anger from some passengers who said they would have to book their own flights home from the new disembarkation port, Marseille, on March 24.
The ship had been scheduled to disembark in Genoa on March 29.
On Facebook, Passenger Adrian Elward posted: “The chaos when the UK passengers were told on Splendida…you have to make your own way home from Marseille. A lot of very angry people.”
However, last night MSC Cruises said it was working with authorities to ensure all 1,721 passengers – 162 of whom are British – were able to return home safely. The line is expected to confirm details with passengers in the coming days.
A spokesperson for the line said: “The situation with regards to COVID-19 is evolving daily and we are working with the relevant authorities to ensure all the guests onboard return home safely.
“We are in regular contact with all travel agents with guests onboard and are working with them to ensure all guests are repatriated home.
“The ship is providing passengers on board with regular updates as and when we receive them.”
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.