Princess Cruises has cancelled all sailings across its entire fleet of 18 ships for the next two months amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Passengers currently on voyages will continue to sail as planned through to the end of the itinerary.
The line said it would “do everything possible to return each guest home with the greatest amount of care possible”.
Princess plans to restart operations with cruises departing on May 11.
The line’s president Jan Swartz said: “Princess Cruises is a global holiday company that serves more than 50,000 guests daily from 70 countries as part of our diverse business, and it is widely known that we have been managing the implications of COVID-19 on two continents.
“By taking this bold action of voluntarily pausing the operations of our ships, it is our intention to reassure our loyal guests, team members and global stakeholders of our commitment to the health, safety and well-being of all who sail with us, as well as those who do business with us, and the countries and communities we visit around the world.”
She said the move was “a difficult business decision”.
“We firmly believe it is the right one and is in alignment with our company’s core values,” she added.
“Rest assured the long-serving and dedicated professionals at our company will make best use of this time to prepare Princess Cruises’ fleet of cruise ships for a successful return to operation to serve our guests by delivering an exceptional holiday experience.”
Princess is offering affected passengers the opportunity to transfer 100% of the money paid for their cancelled sailing to a future cruise of their choice.
The line also added “an additional future cruise credit benefit” will be given to passengers and can be applied to the cruise fare or onboard expenses.
The offer is also valid for passengers who had made the final payment and cancelled their booking on or after February 4.
Future cruise credit can be used on any voyage departing through to May 1, 2022.
Passengers who wish to request a cash refund have been told to complete an electronic form on Princess.com.
British passengers who were stuck on Grand Princess, one of two ships where coronavirus cases were reported, were expected back in the UK on Wednesday.
The vessel had been held off the California coast for almost a week after two passengers and 19 crew caught the virus.
Diamond Princess was quarantined for two weeks last month in Japan after a major outbreak on board.
Earlier on Thursday, Viking Cruises announced it was suspending all ocean and river sailings for over a month. The measure affects all sailings up to April 30.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.