Monarch extends Sharm flight cancellations until February 2017

Monarch extends Sharm flight cancellations until February 2017

Monarch has cancelled all flight bookings to Sharm El-Sheikh until February 9.

The decision was made as no indication from the government about to when the route will re-open has been received, the airline said.

The carrier had hoped to resume flights from October 30 for this winter.

Monarch is still taking bookings from February 10 through to the end of April 2017, but will review this in the coming weeks, subject to Government advice.

Chief executive Andrew Swaffield said: “I am disappointed that again we have had to cancel bookings to Sharm el Sheikh.

“Much hard work has been done by the UK and Egyptian governments, along with the travel industry, to improve safety measures at Sharm el Sheikh airport and we hope to be able to re-open this important holiday market by February.”

Roughly 700,000 Britons visited the Red Sea resort every year prior to UK flights being suspended in November following the downing of a Russian Metrojet Airbus A321 killing all 224 passengers and crew.

Monarch said it was announcing the extended suspension of flights to give customers who have already booked as much notice as possible to re-book to an alternative destination, free of charge, or obtain a full refund.

The move came despite new prime minister Theresa May discussing efforts to improve security at Sharm el Sheikh airport with Egyptian president Sisi last week.

Comments

This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.

More in air