Last updated at 14.51, Wednesday, June 29
The death toll in a gun and suicide bomb attack at Istanbul's Ataturk international airport in Turkey rose to at least 41 with 239 injured.
Three attackers opened fire near an entry point to the terminal before blowing themselves up after police shot at them.
Turkish prime minister Binali Yildirim said early signs suggested the so-called Islamic State was behind the attack.
Yildirim said the attackers arrived at the airport in a taxi and blew themselves up after opening fire.
The victims included some foreigners, he said, adding that many of the wounded had minor injuries but others are more badly hurt.
Another Turkish official said two of the attackers detonated explosives at the entrance of the international arrivals terminal after police fired at them, while the third blew himself up in the parking lot.
Last night’s attack was the latest in a series of terrorist atrocities across Turkey with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office describing the threat from terrorism as “high” with further attacks likely.
Ten people died in a suicide attack against tourists in Istanbul in January followed by a second in March which killed four people.
Other incidents have occurred in Istanbul in April, May and June together with bombings in the capital of Ankara in February and March.
In updated travel advice, the FCO said: “There has been an attack at the Ataturk airport in Istanbul. If you are in the area follow the advice of the local security forces.
“Please follow travel advice for further updates. Speak to your carrier for updated travel information.”
The FCO added this morning: “Flights to and from Ataturk airport are resuming gradually. Speak to your carrier for updated travel information before travelling to the airport.”
All flights between the US and Istanbul were grounded by the US Federal Aviation Administration.
British Airways has cancelled all flights from Istanbul to Heathrow today (Wednesday).
“We are keeping the situation regarding other scheduled flights to/from Istanbul under regular review and are awaiting more information from the authorities in Turkey,” the airline said.
The airport, the 11th busiest in the world last year handling 61.8 million passengers, was shut with flights suspended until 5am local time
The largest carrier at the airport is Turkish Airlines, which operates a major hub there. Low-cost Turkish carrier Onur Air is the second-largest airline there.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.