Monarch has followed easyJet and British Airways in cancelling UK flights to Sharm el-Sheikh until the new year.
The company is laying on additional flights to mainland Spain, Faro, Gibraltar and Tenerife as alternative winter sun destinations.
Monarch flights had been suspended until December but have now been cancelled up to and including January 6 following advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
“We recognise that the uncertainty over recent weeks has been difficult for our customers and we hope that this change in policy will allow those booked to travel to make alternative arrangements as soon as possible,” the company said.
People affected by the cancellation of flights to the Egyptian Red Sea resort are being allowed to change bookings to a later date or rebook to another destination on the Monarch network.
Customers can also request a credit note towards future travel or a refund.
Monarch continues to operate to the Red Sea resorts of Hurghada and Eilat as well as Cyprus, the Canary islands, Agadir and Madeira this winter.
“The safety and security of our passengers will always remain our number one priority and whilst this ongoing situation is beyond our control, Monarch would like to apologise to all affected customers for the inconvenience that it has caused,” Monarch said.
All BA flights to Sharm el-Sheikh have been suspended up to and including January 14 – a week longer than easyJet.
Thomas Cook flights are cancelled until December 10 and Thomson flights remain cancelled up to December 16.
UK airlines and operators had to fly more than 16,500 holidaymakers home following the downing of the Russian Metrojet Airbus which killed all 224 people on board and subsequent security issues at the Red Sea resort airport.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.