Monarch cancels Sharm el-Sheikh flights until December 20

Monarch cancels Sharm el-Sheikh flights until December 20

Monarch is cancelling all further flights to and from Sharm el-Sheikh until December 20.

Operators had previously said no flights would run to the Red Sea resorts until after November 25, although the situation remained under review.

Monarch said its decision to extend the cancellation came after the Department for Transport advised that no more flights would operate from Sharm el-Sheikh after next Tuesday.

The company said: “Monarch can confirm that in-line with advice from the Department for Transport the airline will operate flights from Sharm el-Sheikh to the UK until Tuesday 17 November 2015.

“We strongly advise customers to adhere to the latest travel advice issued by the UK authorities and ensure that they are in contact with our customer contact centre to re-book their return.

“The most recent statement issued by the government advises that should customers choose to remain in Sharm el-Sheikh after Tuesday, they should make their own alternative arrangements for returning to the UK.

“This may involve having to travel with an airline to which enhanced UK security measures e.g. separate baggage flights, do not apply. Travellers are advised that they do so at their own risk.”

A government spokesman said: “Following the suspension of flights from the UK to Sharm el-Sheikh on Wednesday 4 November 2015, the government has been working with British airlines to ensure the secure return of holiday makers in Egypt.

“The backlog of passengers waiting to return to the UK is expected to have been cleared by the end of the weekend.

“British airlines have informed us that many British tourists currently in Sharm el-Sheikh have taken the opportunity to travel home early and airlines have offered a range of options to those customers wishing to stay beyond Tuesday.

“British airlines estimate that after this date, there will be fewer than 200 of their passengers remaining in the resort.”

The flight suspensions follow the Russian Metrojet crash on October 31 which killed 224 people on board after leaving Sharm el-Sheikh airport.

Comments

This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.

More in News