Thomas Cook chief executive Peter Fankhauser has apologised for the deaths of two children from carbon monoxide poisoning at a Corfu hotel nine years ago.
The inquest into the 2006 deaths of Robert and Christianne Shepherd at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel concluded with a verdict of ‘unlawful killing’ last week.
Speaking at the company’s half-year results conference, Fankhauser said: “I am deeply sorry as a father myself for the deaths of Bobby and Christianne.
“It is absolutely clear that we could have done things better, particularly in terms of our relationship with the family.
“We will not repeat the mistakes of the past by talking about the family and we want to see how we can help them to move on with their lives.”
When asked by a Barclays analyst about the impact of the recent negative press coverage, Fankhauser replied: “It’s still early but so far we don’t see any impact.”
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.