Warnings after typhoon hits the Philippines

Warnings after typhoon hits the Philippines

Image via Shutterstock

Warnings of flash floods, landslides and storm surges have been issued as a powerful typhoon hit the Philippines, forcing thousands of people to higher ground.

Flights and sea crossings were cancelled leaving more than 5,000 passengers and some 100 vessels stranded along the eastern coastline.

At least two people are reported to have been killed as Typhoon Noul hit the north-east of the country - the strongest storm to hit the Philippines so far this year.

The storm, with wind speeds of 137mph, is expected to move towards Taiwan and Japan tomorrow (Tuesday).

At least 2,500 people reportedly fled their homes to find safer grounds in the provinces of Cagayan and Isabela.

Typhoon Noul, locally called Dodong, made landfall on Sunday in Cagayan province, about 250 miles north of the capital Manila, downing trees, damaging houses and cutting electricity supplies to much of the region.

Two men were electrocuted on Sunday while fixing the roof of their house in Aparri town, the BBC reported.

More than 7,000 people were killed when Typhoon Haiyan struck the Philippines in 2013.

However, authorities said they did not expect high casualty numbers as most people had followed evacuation orders.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office issued revised travel alerts for the Philippines and Taiwan due to Typhoon Noul.

“The weather will bring high winds and intense rain. You should monitor the progress of approaching storms and follow the advice of the local authorities,” the FCO said.

Comments

This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.

More in News