The siege of a shopping centre in Nairobi attacked by suspected Somali Islamist al-Shabab militants is reported to be coming to an end this morning.
At least 62 people have been killed, including six Britons, with more than 170 injured.
Kenyan security forces say they have taken control of all floors of the Westgate shopping centre, according to BBC reports.
An explosion and bursts of gunfire were heard coming from the complex this morning as speculation grew that the operation was close to completion.
British travellers to the Kenyan capital were warned by the Foreign & Commonwelath Office to “exercise a heightened level of vigilance,” avoid the area around the shopping centre and crowded places. They were also urged to limit their movements around the city.
Kenya’s foreign minister Amina Mohamed said “two or three” Americans and a British woman were among the attackers.
Kenyan officials said three “terrorists” had been killed.
The movement has said it carried out the attack, which started on Saturday, in retaliation for Kenyan military operations in Somalia.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.