Unrest in Egypt and Tunisia fails to dent holiday prices

Unrest in Egypt and Tunisia fails to dent holiday prices

Holiday prices are holding up for the Red Sea despite increased unrest in Cairo.

More than 70 people were killed in fighting between rival groups in Egypt’s capital at the weekend.

The Foreign Office is still advising against all but essential travel to all areas except Red Sea resorts Sharm el-Sheikh, Taba, Nuweiba and Dahab.

Advantage managing director Julia Lo Bue-Said said Egypt had sold well early in the season, which meant there was not “mass capacity” left to sell.

“There’s no crazy pricing and there are premium prices still in place for August holidays to the Red Sea. For Sharm, it’s business as usual,” she said.

“However, the longer it goes on the more difficult it will be. Without question, Egypt is suffering.”

Travel Counsellors’ Natasha Lawrence, who has just returned from a family holiday to Taba, said: “I have no qualms about sending people to the Red Sea area. On the whole prices are holding up.”

Discover Egypt specialises in Nile cruises, which are covered by the travel ban.

But the operator’s commercial director, Philip Breckner, said: “On a positive note customers are still ringing to say they are waiting for the advice to be lifted.”

Unrest in Tunisia has also generated media coverage. A general strike prevented many inbound flights on Friday in the wake of the assassination of opposition politician Mohamed Brahmi in Tunis.

The FCO warned the situation was unpredictable and advised against all travel to the Chaambi Mountain National Park area.

But Directline Holidays said Tunisia sales in the past week were up 16% on the same week last year, due to the ‘great value’ available.


This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.

More in News