A further six summer cruises have been cancelled by Royal Caribbean International to allow for repairs to fire damaged Grandeur of the Seas.
The blaze burnt out what the line described as an “industrial area” at the aft of the ship which had only just re-entered service after a refit.
The 2,446-passenger capacity vessel is not expected to return to service on seven-night itineraries from Baltimore until July 12.
The vessel was being moved from Freeport in the Bahamas to a berth at Grand Bahama shipyard yesterday for the repairs to be carried out. A cruise due to depart on Friday had already been cancelled.
Parent company Royal Caribbean Cruises said: “The company has taken the vessel out of service and expects that it will take approximately six weeks to complete the repair efforts.”
The line laid on 11 charter flights to fly passengers from the vessel’s aborted cruise back to Baltimore. Others were travelling by ferry to Florida and then being transferred by train or coach.
People booked on the cancelled cruises are being offered refunds and 25% future cruise discounts.
Royal Caribbean estimates that the direct financial impact will be a reduction of $0.10 per share.
Senior vice president and chef financial officer Jason Liberty said: “The extent of the financial impact was relatively high because the affected sailings were during the premium summer season.”
Royal Caribbean International president and chief executive Adam Goldstein said: “We are gratified that no one was hurt and that the safety and comfort systems performed exactly as designed.
“I extend my appreciation to our crew who performed so well, as well as to our guests who have been co-operative, understanding and highly complimentary of the shipboard team throughout.”
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.