BMI workers at George Best Belfast city airport have gone into consultation about possible job losses ahead of the airline's takeover by IAG.
About 100 staff employed by BMI in Belfast have been told their jobs could be at risk.
About 2,700 people work for BMI across the UK. BA owner IAG has confirmed up to 1,200 BMI jobs are set to be lost following the takeover.
BA expects to secure 1,500 BMI jobs as it integrates BMI’s mainline operations. These include the transfer of around 1,100 cabin crew, pilots and engineers based at Heathrow.
Negotiations with the unions are ongoing. BA has said no decision had been taken about job losses in Belfast.
The sale of BMI to IAG was announced in December and regulatory approval was granted by the European Commission on March 30.
The Belfast to Heathrow route is protected under the deal but East Belfast MP Naomi Long told the BBC it was a worrying time for staff.
"We are in a positive situation to one extent as the NI linkage with Heathrow is one of the best bits of the business," she said.
"That might offer people a little comfort. But it is a very difficult time for BMI people until the final package is worked out."
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.