The cream of the UK travel industry was honoured at the Globe Travel Awards in London on Wednesday night.
Big winners included Thomson, which scooped three awards, and Superbreak, Attraction World and Royal Caribbean, which all received double honours.
Sandals founder Gordon ‘Butch’ Stewart received the Contribution to the Industry award, while Digital Visitor won the Innovation in Travel Award.
The Globe awards, widely recognised as the pinnacle of the travel industry calendar, took place at the Grosvenor House hotel on Park Lane, and were presented by Travel Weekly Group editor-in-chief Lucy Huxley and comedian Jack Whitehall.
In an evening celebrating Britain and the British travel industry, an audience of more than 1,000 enjoyed entertainment from X Factor star Misha B, beatbox champion Faith SFX and Heather Small, who appeared in her role as an ambassador for the children’s charity Barnardo’s.
The night ended with a rousing Last Night of the Proms-style choral performance, before the audience celebrated long into the night to the sounds of Radio 1 DJ Trevor Nelson.
Clive Jacobs, chairman of Travel Weekly Group, said: “The Globes continue to set the benchmark for industry events, and tonight’s show was a great celebration of our industry as we enter this Olympic year.
“Globe winners can truly claim to be the best in the industry, and tonight we have honoured some outstanding companies and individuals.”
Six consumer awards were also presented, sponsored by headline sponsor Mail Newspapers.
On The Water Sector, sponsored by Amadeus
- Best Ferry Company: P&O Ferries
- Best Mainstream Cruise Company: Royal Caribbean Internationl
- Best Premium Cruise Company: Celebrity Cruises
- Best Specialist Cruise Company, Including River: Hurtigruten
- Best Luxury Cruise Company: Silversea Cruises
On The Move Sector, sponsored by P&O Ferries
- Best Rail Operator: Eurostar
- Best Coach Operator: Shearings
- Best Car Rental Operator: Holiday Autos
Consumer Awards, sponsored by Mail Newspapers
- Favourite Cruise Company: P&O Cruises
- Favourite Long-haul Operator: Virgin Holidays
- Favourite Airline: British Airways
- Favourite Hotel Chain: Hilton
- Favourite Rail Operator: Virgin Trains
- Favourite Online Booking Website: Expedia
- Favourite European Short Break Provider: Thomas Cook Signature
Flying Sector, sponsored by The Holiday Team
- Best Short-haul Airline: Jet2.com
- Best Long-haul Airline: Emirates
- Best UK Airport: Manchester
- Best Charter Airline: Thomson Airways
- Best UK Hotel Chain: Hilton
- Best UK Theme Park: Alton Towers
- Best Operator UK Holidays: Superbreak
- Best All-Inclusive Resort Operator: Sandals
- Best Tourist Board UK Office: Tourism Australia
- Best Theme Park (worldwide): Walt Disney World Resort Florida
- Best Hotel Chain (worldwide): RIU Hotels & Resorts
- Best Add-ons Provider: Attraction World
- Best Technology Provider: Amadeus
- Best Insurance Provider: Holiday Extras
- Best Trade Sales Team: Attraction World
- Best Trade Friendly Provider: Travel 2
- Best Long-haul Operator (mulit destination): Thomson
- Best Long-haul Specialist Operator (mulit destination): Wendy Wu Tours and Hayes & Jarvis (joint winners)
- Best Luxury Operator: Cox & Kings
- Best Consolidator: Gold Medal Travel
- Best Accommodation-only Provider: Superbreak
- Best Operator Ski/Activity: Neilson Holidays
- Best Short-haul Operator: Thomson
- Digital Visitor
The Penny Akam Award for Unsung Heroes
- Andrew Baldwin, Carnival UK
Outstanding Achievement Award, sponsored by Avis
- Gordon ‘Butch’ Stewart
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.