Flooding prompts warning over travel to the Philippines

Flooding prompts warning over travel to the Philippines

Britons are being warned against all travel to the flood-ravaged area of the southern Philippines.

Flash floods in the early hours of Saturday on Mindanao Island left more than 650 people dead and 800 missing.

A passing tropical storm coinciding with high tides devastated the area leaving about 35,000 residents sheltering in evacuation centres. Many were trapped in their homes as rivers burst their banks while entire villages are reported to have been swept away.

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office said it already advises against all travel to the region. “British nationals in the region should if possible contact friends and relatives to let them know that they are safe,” the FCO said.

Foreign Office minister Jeremy Browne said: “The loss of life caused by flooding in the Philippines is tragic. I visited the Philippines earlier this month and know how keenly this loss will be felt by all its people.”

Comments

This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.

More in News