MSC Cruises’ crippled ship MSC Opera will not resume service from Southampton until the end of the next week.
The 1,712-passenger ship broke down on its maiden ten-night voyage to the Baltic Sea from Southampton and had to be towed by tugs into the Swedish port of Nynäshamn.
Passengers, including around 400 from the UK, were flown home from Stockholm on Monday.
A second sailing from Southampton due to depart yesterday (Tuesday) was cancelled.
The Italian company said passengers due on the 10-night Baltic Capitals itinerary had been informed and given “adequate compensation”.
The ship is now due to return to service on May 27 with an eight-night Norwegin fjords cruise from Southampton.
MSC said it would like to “apologise for any inconvenience experienced”.
The vessel was hit by a power failure near the end of its maiden cruise from Southampton with passengers flown home from Sweden on Monday, the day before MSC Opera had been scheduled to return to its UK summer base.
Passengers on the disrupted cruise have been issued with credit vouchers for the whole amount of the cruise to be used by December 2012.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.