The security situation for Britons travelling across nine nations in the Middle East region could worsen “with little warning”.

The renewed alert from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office reflects increased tensions following the death of Iranian general Qasem Soleimani in a US drone strike in Baghdad on Friday.


MoreTravellers urged to be ‘extra vigilant’ as Middle East tensions rise


The amended travel advice covers Egypt, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Jordan, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman and Saudi Arabia.

The FCO guidance now says: “There is a possibility of an increased threat against western interests and the security situation could worsen with little warning.

“You should remain vigilant and keep up to date with the latest developments, including via the media and this travel advice.”

In an additional warning issued for Egypt, the FCO added: “Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Egypt.

“There is considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria.”

Terrorists are also “very likely” to try to carry out attacks in Turkey.

The latest update follows Iran threatening “severe revenge” for the killing of Soleimani on the orders of US president Donald Trump.

Cruise lines with ships in the Gulf region are remaining vigilant although no itineraries have yet been altered or cancelled.

An MSC Cruises spokesperson said: “We always closely monitor the public safety and security situation in each of the destinations we call and areas we sail through.

“In recent days we have further heightened our vigilance for the Gulf region and are closely monitoring the situation.

“We are consulting with official travel advisory bodies and are in constant contact with local and international authorities.

“So far, we have not received any intelligence suggesting that there is reason for our itineraries to be altered, or shore excursions to be cancelled. Our cruise ships will sail as planned and per schedule.

“We will take no risks and passengers and crew can be assured that their safety is always our first priority.”

A Celebrity Cruises spokesperson said: “Our global security teams continue to monitor the situation in the region and are working closely with authorities to ensure the safety and comfort of our guests and crew, which remains our highest priority.

“We are communicating directly with our guests and will advise them if any schedule changes become necessary.”

A Cunard spokesperson said: “We continue to monitor the situation closely, taking the latest travel guidance from the relevant government bodies.

“At this time, Queen Mary 2’s itinerary remains as planned, but should the situation change for any reason then we will contact our guests to let them know.”

The FCO continues to advise against all but essential travel to much of Iran and not to go to border regions of the country.

It also advises against all but essential travel to the Kurdistan region of Iraq and against all travel to the rest of Iraq.

MoreTravellers urged to be ‘extra vigilant’ as Middle East tensions rise

tw5