The Sri Lankan government has revised down the death toll from last Sunday’s terror attacks from 350 to around 250.
The country’s authorities blamed a calculation error and the difficulty of identifying victims.
Deputy defence minister Ruwan Wijewardene said morgues had provided inaccurate figures.
After all autopsies had been completed on Thursday evening it became apparent some victims had been counted more than once.
Eight Britons were among the victims confirmed dead in blasts at churches and hotels which left a further 500 wounded.
On Thursday, the Foreign Office (FCO) has advised against all but essential travel to Sri Lanka, saying terrorists are very likely to try to carry out indiscriminate attacks, including in places visited by foreigners.
The downward revision means this no longer ranks as the deadliest attack claimed by IS.
Operators with programmes in Sri Lanka said they have cancelled bookings and started re-booking customers to alternative destinations.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.