EasyJet plans to join rivals in taking a legal complaint to the European Commission over damaging air traffic control strikes.
Chief executive Johan Lundgren said he believed there was a case that EU law was being infringed by not adequately protecting flights over France as the Commission’s failure to tackle the issue is breaching freedom of movement for Europeans.
It comes after Ryanair and British Airways owner International Airlines Group recently revealed plans to join forces for a complaint to the Commission over its inaction over the strikes.
EasyJet cancelled 2,606 flights in the three months to June 30 mainly due to air traffic control strikes, which sent costs up by £25 million as it has had to compensate customers.
The budget carrier now expects costs for the full year to rise by around 3% as a result of the disruption, which has so far been greater than seen during the whole of 2017.
However, the airline raised profit forecast to between £550 million and £590 million despite a £25 million hit from the disruption.
Lundgrun told The Telegraph: “It’s been a challenging year so far and we estimate that this will not go away.”
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.