The Tui travel agency where travel agent Cassie Hayes was killed in January is to reopen at the wishes of the staff next month.

The store in Southport town centre in Merseyside has been shut since January 13 when the 28 year old assistant manager was attacked in front of customers. She later died in hospital.

The mother-of-one was well-liked and known for her “sense of fun and passion for the business”.

Tui said the shop would be refurbished before it reopens on March 19, nine weeks after Hayes’ death.

A Tui UK & Ireland spokeswoman said:  “We can confirm that after extensive consideration and consultation with the local team we are following their wishes and will be reopening our Southport store.

“It will undergo a full refurbishment over the next few weeks so the team will be ready to welcome customers on Monday 19th March.”

Helen Caron, director of distribution & cruise for Tui UK & Ireland said: “The events at the Southport store shocked us all and we’ve continued to offer support to everyone affected.

“The decision to reopen the store following the tragic incident was made by the store team who have been very involved in the entire decision making process, with all team members returning to work. We would like to extend our thanks to the travel industry and Southport community for their continued support.”

She added:  “We have also shared our plans with Cassie’s family, who have said: ‘Cassie has been thought of every step of the way and that means the world to us. Cassie loved her job, her regular customers and her work colleagues who became great friends. The TUI store is where she laughed and smiled and we would like Cassie’s amazing personality to remain a treasured memory within the Southport store.’ ”

A man charged with her murder has admitted he killed her unlawfully. Andrew Burke, 30, of Vincent Street, St Helens, has appeared at Liverpool Crown Court via video link. The hearing has been adjourned until April 9 when Burke is expected to enter pleas.

A post-mortem examination concluded Hayes, who was originally from Alnwick, Northumberland, died of shock and haemorrhaging due to a wound to the throat.